Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A chilled savory mold, to be sliced and served with green salad. I think blue cheese, goat cheese or gorganzola would go nicely with this. Maybe some chopped walnuts or pecans to serve. Haven't made this, posting for easy retrieval. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving overhang on the long sides of pan.
- Chop the onion and dill or mint finely.
- Cut the beetroot into small cubes or thin rounds. Layer some beetroot at the bottom of loaf pan. Follow with a layer of onion and then a generous layer of chopped dill or mint. Repeat and finish with a layer of beetroot.
- Mix the vinegars, the water, and teaspoon of honey in a small saucepan, and heat together until honey is dissolved.
- Soften the gelatin leaves in a bowl with cold water, completely covered. Once soft, squeeze out excess water from the leaves and add to the warm water/vinegar sauce. Stir until completely dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the warm, runny gelatin over the beets in the loaf pan until covered. Press down slightly, cover and refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight or longer for a better flavor.
- Slice with sharp knife and serve.