1/1 Photo of Beet Sliders(Gatsby's)
1 hr 24 mins
1 hr 4 mins
I saw this being made on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and then heard the raves from the customers and had to get the recipe. You gotta give this a try, you won't be dissapointed. :D If you can't find the Maggi seasoning, use sugar(it's the main ingredient of the seasoning). I haven't tried using the sugar, so use your own judgement on this. You can scale this down to feed less if you like. Recipe courtesy Chuck Caplener and Jared Nuttall, co-owners of Gatsby's Diner, Sacramento, CA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 quarts water
- 1/2 cup sea salt, plus a pinch
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 8 -10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 6 dried arbol chiles
- 1/4 cup coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons seasoning, sauce (recommended Maggi)
- 6 -8 whole beets (depending on size)
- olive oil
- sliced red onion, for serving
- 16 -18 slider buns, toasted (at the restaurant they use potato rolls)
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1In a large stock pot, combine and the water, 1/2 cup sea salt, dill, thyme, bay leaves, chiles, coriander, caraway, carrots, celery, onions, seasoning sauce, and beets and bring to a boil. Boil on medium heat for about 1 hour.
- 2Remove the beets and let cool, discarding the liquid. Once cooled, remove the skin from the beets with a vegetable peeler. (Remember to wear gloves, as the beets will stain your hands as well as other surfaces.) Cut the beets into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices. Place the beet slices, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt into a skillet over high heat and saute until glossy and tender, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side(or cook on a grill).
- 3Remove the beets from the skillet and serve with shaved red onion and Green Goddess Dressing on a toasted slider bun.
- 4To make Green Goddess Dressing:.
- 5Combine the herbs, green onions, buttermilk, lemon juice, and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Let macerate for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and mayonnaise, and blend with an immersion blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Sliders(Gatsby's)
Serving Size: 1 (6999 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.1
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 3957.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar