Cook1 hr 4 mins
I saw this being made on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and then heard the raves from the customers and had to get the recipe. You gotta give this a try, you won't be dissapointed. :D If you can't find the Maggi seasoning, use sugar(it's the main ingredient of the seasoning). I haven't tried using the sugar, so use your own judgement on this. You can scale this down to feed less if you like. Recipe courtesy Chuck Caplener and Jared Nuttall, co-owners of Gatsby's Diner, Sacramento, CA.
- 5 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup sea salt, plus a pinch
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 8 -10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 6 dried arbol chiles
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons seasoning, sauce (recommended Maggi)
- 6 -8 whole beets (depending on size)
- olive oil
- sliced red onion, for serving
- 16 -18 slider buns, toasted (at the restaurant they use potato rolls)
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot, combine and the water, 1/2 cup sea salt, dill, thyme, bay leaves, chiles, coriander, caraway, carrots, celery, onions, seasoning sauce, and beets and bring to a boil. Boil on medium heat for about 1 hour.
- Remove the beets and let cool, discarding the liquid. Once cooled, remove the skin from the beets with a vegetable peeler. (Remember to wear gloves, as the beets will stain your hands as well as other surfaces.) Cut the beets into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices. Place the beet slices, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt into a skillet over high heat and saute until glossy and tender, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side(or cook on a grill).
- Remove the beets from the skillet and serve with shaved red onion and Green Goddess Dressing on a toasted slider bun.
- To make Green Goddess Dressing:.
- Combine the herbs, green onions, buttermilk, lemon juice, and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Let macerate for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and mayonnaise, and blend with an immersion blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.