Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Cooking time includes marinating time in this recipe. A Moroccan dish which works well with many mains and well as a salad. A tasty variation is to add 1 teaspoon orange flower water, 1/8 teaspoon cumin, a pinch of paprika, and a little water to the sauce.
- 1 lb beet
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Wash the beets well, being careful not to break their skins.
- Cut off the tops, leaving a stalk of about 1 1/2 inches.
- Boil, covered, until tender.
- Allow the water to cool, then slip off the skins, trim off the tops, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over beets.
- Let marinate 1 hour before serving.
I thought it was excellent! Full of flavor! I will make this repeatedly. Thanks for sharing!!!
I made the basic recipe initially, and liked it. A good beetroot salad, possibly a little on the sweet side for my personal taste, but definitely a 4* recipe. Then, just as I was starting to write this review, I wondered what the suggested variation might taste like, so I headed back to the kitchen to add the orange blossom water, cumin and paprika as indicated in the recipe's introduction. Because we'd already eatern half the beetroot, I scaled down the quantities, and I didn't bother adding the water. It was fantastic! A 5* recipe! I can see this variation of your recipe becoming a staple in our house. Thank you.