1/2 Photos of Beet Salad With Red Onion, Mint and Pistachios
1 hr 15 mins
From Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live well as found on the relish.com website. This made for a delicious main dish meal last night. If you don't have the beet greens, go ahead and substitute other greens: heirloom lettuce, arugula, watercress, m^ache, red loose leaf, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium red beets, with greens
- 2 medium golden beets, with greens
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar (I replaced with marionberry vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped (*NOT* dried mint)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Preparing the beets: Cut off the greens and set aside.
- 3Place the beets in an ovenproof dish and add enough water to cover the bottom.
- 4Cover with foil and bake 1 hour or until they pierce easily with a knife.
- 5Remove beets from the oven and allow to cool.
- 6Peel and discard the skins (depending on how young the beets are I sometimes skip the peeling part). Cut them into wedges or slices. *Remember*: Keep the red beets separate from the golden beets to avoid the red beets bleeding.
- 7Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of sherry vinegar on the red beets and the other one half teaspoon on the golden beets. Toss to coat and set aside.
- 8(Read *Note below before starting this step.) Assembling the salad: Wash well and coarsely chop the beet greens. Place in a colander.
- 9Slice the red onions into thin rounds and place on top of the greens.
- 10Boil 1 cup of water then pour over the beets and onions. Drain well and pat dry.
- 11Transfer to a bowl and stir in the mint and beets.
- 12Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar and the olive oil.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper; toss.
- 14Garnish with the pistachios.
- 15*Note: the photo that accompanied this recipe on the relish.com site shows the vegetables all arranged on a platter in their own little mounds and the ingredients were not tossed together. I chose to serve the salad with each ingredient placed in mounds for a more beautiful presentation. The nuts were of course scattered on top of the salad.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Salad With Red Onion, Mint and Pistachios
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.9
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 616.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar