Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live well as found on the relish.com website. This made for a delicious main dish meal last night. If you don't have the beet greens, go ahead and substitute other greens: heirloom lettuce, arugula, watercress, m^ache, red loose leaf, etc.
Top Review by magpie diner
I'm really impressed with this simple salad, it turned out so well and I would definitely serve for company. I love that it uses the beet tops and the simple method of blanching them with the onions is perfect, took away the sharpness of the onions which ended up being super sweet. I made most of it a day ahead of time, just tossed the 2 parts together with the dressing and tossed the nuts on before serving. I found it wasn't quite enough dressing so I added a splash or two extra of oo & vinegar. Such a pretty salad, I can't wait to make again!
- 2 medium red beets, with greens
- 2 medium golden beets, with greens
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar (I replaced with marionberry vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped (*NOT* dried mint)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preparing the beets: Cut off the greens and set aside.
- Place the beets in an ovenproof dish and add enough water to cover the bottom.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour or until they pierce easily with a knife.
- Remove beets from the oven and allow to cool.
- Peel and discard the skins (depending on how young the beets are I sometimes skip the peeling part). Cut them into wedges or slices. *Remember*: Keep the red beets separate from the golden beets to avoid the red beets bleeding.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of sherry vinegar on the red beets and the other one half teaspoon on the golden beets. Toss to coat and set aside.
- (Read *Note below before starting this step.) Assembling the salad: Wash well and coarsely chop the beet greens. Place in a colander.
- Slice the red onions into thin rounds and place on top of the greens.
- Boil 1 cup of water then pour over the beets and onions. Drain well and pat dry.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the mint and beets.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar and the olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; toss.
- Garnish with the pistachios.
- *Note: the photo that accompanied this recipe on the relish.com site shows the vegetables all arranged on a platter in their own little mounds and the ingredients were not tossed together. I chose to serve the salad with each ingredient placed in mounds for a more beautiful presentation. The nuts were of course scattered on top of the salad.