Recipe by Chef Kate
Ann Yonkers is co-director of the FRESHFARM Markets, the organic farm markets in Washington, DC and Maryland.. She and her husband Charlie Yonkers own Pot Pie Farm, in Wittman, MD. This lovely salad is as pretty as it is delicious. You can use all red, all golden or variously colored beets. Time does not include the roasting of the beets.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
The store where I normally purchase veggies was out of golden beets this week unfortunately. They would have looked striking in this salad, too! Regardless, a delicious, colorful, *healthy* salad. I used both fresh mint and parsley from our garden. The onion and herbs were added separately. The oil-cured black olives are the icing on the cake so to speak. Reviewed for Veg Tag February. Thanks, Chef Kate!
- 680.38 g beets, roasted and peeled
- 1 lemon
- 29.58 ml red onions, finely diced
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped
- 14.79 ml mint, chopped
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 88.74 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 709.77-946.36 ml salad greens (such as spinach, frisee and or or red leaf lettuce)
- 59.14 ml oil-cured black olive
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the beets into quarters or sixths.
- Finely grate the lemon zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, onion, herbs, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste and the oil in a small bowl.
- Taste the dressing on a beet and correct the seasonings if needed.
- Toss the beets with enough dressing to coat lightly.
- Toss the greens with the remaining dressing and arrange them on salad plates.
- Add the beets and olives and serve.