Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. Syria and Lebanon.
- 5 large fresh beets
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- Boil the beets until tender.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel, dice, and place in a salad bowl.
- Stir in garlic, cilantro, chives, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Stir, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Deliciously fresh-tasting! Once the beets are cooked and cut, it's super quick to make. It gets better the longer it chills. I made this exactly as written, just adding a little chopped sweet onion. I was thinking that goat milk fets would be nice to crumble on top. All beet lovers should try this. Thanx for sharing!
Deelish! I'm so glad I love beets! And this is a wonderful salad to add to my roster of great beet recipes! I did use just a skoosh more garlic. For our taste buds, the cilantro was spot on! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Engrossed. Made for the French Forum Herb of the Month tag game.
I liked this a lot. I made it exactly as written except for omitting the cilantro as DD doesn't like it. If making this for myself only I will definitely include it.