Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was taken from Eating Well magazine and looked positively delicious!
Make and share this Beet Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed,root ends and 1 inch of stems left intact (3/4 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch watercress or 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (about 5 cups)
- 1 apple, quartered,cored and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably madras
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- In a large pot, stem beets until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a small skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 minutes (or toast in a toaster over).
- Let cool; coarsely chop.
- Set aside.
- When beets are done, slip off skins under running water.
- Cut beets into wedges and set aside.
- In a large shallow serving bowl, toss watercress (or arugula) with one-third of the vinaigrette.
- In a large shallow bowl, toss apple, celery and reserved walnuts with halk of the remaining vinaigrette.
- Mound in center of greens.
- Make a well in the apple mixture.
- In the bowl, toss raisins and reserved beets with remaining vinaigrette.
- Arrange in the center of the apple mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Curry Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whsik cider, vinegar, shallots, curry powder, mustard, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- Whisk in oil.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- (The vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day).
- Makes 1/2 cup.
This salad is good. I'm not a huge fan of beets but this dressing definitely makes them palatable. It was a hit with the family!
The curry flavor makes this beet salad extra flavorful and unique. I served this at a picnic with the Oven Fried Southern Honey-Cinnamon Chicken - a huge hit!