Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was taken from Eating Well magazine and looked positively delicious!
Make and share this Beet Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed,root ends and 1 inch of stems left intact (3/4 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch watercress or 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (about 5 cups)
- 1 apple, quartered,cored and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably madras
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- In a large pot, stem beets until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a small skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 minutes (or toast in a toaster over).
- Let cool; coarsely chop.
- Set aside.
- When beets are done, slip off skins under running water.
- Cut beets into wedges and set aside.
- In a large shallow serving bowl, toss watercress (or arugula) with one-third of the vinaigrette.
- In a large shallow bowl, toss apple, celery and reserved walnuts with halk of the remaining vinaigrette.
- Mound in center of greens.
- Make a well in the apple mixture.
- In the bowl, toss raisins and reserved beets with remaining vinaigrette.
- Arrange in the center of the apple mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Curry Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whsik cider, vinegar, shallots, curry powder, mustard, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- Whisk in oil.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- (The vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day).
- Makes 1/2 cup.
This salad is good. I'm not a huge fan of beets but this dressing definitely makes them palatable. It was a hit with the family!
The curry flavor makes this beet salad extra flavorful and unique. I served this at a picnic with the Oven Fried Southern Honey-Cinnamon Chicken - a huge hit!