This recipe was taken from Eating Well magazine and looked positively delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed,root ends and 1 inch of stems left intact (3/4 pound)
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 bunch watercress or 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (about 5 cups)
- 1 apple, quartered,cored and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1In a large pot, stem beets until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 2In a small skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 minutes (or toast in a toaster over).
- 3Let cool; coarsely chop.
- 4Set aside.
- 5When beets are done, slip off skins under running water.
- 6Cut beets into wedges and set aside.
- 7In a large shallow serving bowl, toss watercress (or arugula) with one-third of the vinaigrette.
- 8In a large shallow bowl, toss apple, celery and reserved walnuts with halk of the remaining vinaigrette.
- 9Mound in center of greens.
- 10Make a well in the apple mixture.
- 11In the bowl, toss raisins and reserved beets with remaining vinaigrette.
- 12Arrange in the center of the apple mixture.
- 13Serve immediately.
- 14Curry Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whsik cider, vinegar, shallots, curry powder, mustard, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- 15Whisk in oil.
- 16Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 17(The vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day).
- 18Makes 1/2 cup.
Browse Our Top Seasonal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.8
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 204.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g