So delicious! I was skeptical of the beets, but they are very yummy in this dish, and the shallots and Gorgonzola help mellow them out. A neighbor gave us his CSA for the week when he went out of town, and this recipe was included with the farm newsletter.
- Top and scrub clean 1 bunch beets. Steam them until tender, run them under water, and then slip the skins. When cool, chop the beets into 3/4 inch cubes; you should have about 2 cups.
- In a small pan bring 5 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock to a near boil with 1 tsp sea salt.
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm 2 tbs olive oil with 1 tbs unsalted butter. Finely chop and add 2-3 shallots. Sauté until soft and clear, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock and stir constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add more stock, about 1/4 cup each time. It should take about 20 minutes in all.
- Before the last ladle of stock is added, stir in 4-5 oz crumbled Gorgonzola and 1/3 cup walnuts.
- After the last bit of liquid is absorbed, add the chopped beets. Let risotto stand 5 minutes before serving.