Recipe by libbysnax
So delicious! I was skeptical of the beets, but they are very yummy in this dish, and the shallots and Gorgonzola help mellow them out. A neighbor gave us his CSA for the week when he went out of town, and this recipe was included with the farm newsletter.
Top Review by Paris D
This was very good! We used sodium-free chicken broth and I still thought it was quite salty (probably because there's so much salt in the cheese and we're used to low-salt food). Next time, I'll omit the salt altogether. We also think it would benefit from more walnuts and that it would be even better with toasted walnuts, so we'll use 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts next time. This is so tasty if you are a blue cheese lover!
- 1 bunch beet
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock or 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 -3 shallots
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 4 -5 ounces gorgonzola
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Top and scrub clean 1 bunch beets. Steam them until tender, run them under water, and then slip the skins. When cool, chop the beets into 3/4 inch cubes; you should have about 2 cups.
- In a small pan bring 5 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock to a near boil with 1 tsp sea salt.
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm 2 tbs olive oil with 1 tbs unsalted butter. Finely chop and add 2-3 shallots. Sauté until soft and clear, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock and stir constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add more stock, about 1/4 cup each time. It should take about 20 minutes in all.
- Before the last ladle of stock is added, stir in 4-5 oz crumbled Gorgonzola and 1/3 cup walnuts.
- After the last bit of liquid is absorbed, add the chopped beets. Let risotto stand 5 minutes before serving.