Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This risotto has not only an incredible jewel like color, but also a delicious deep taste, tempered by the greens, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
- 1301.24-1537.83 ml vegetable stock
- 44.37 ml butter (or a mixture of butter and olive oil)
- 118.29 ml finely diced onion
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbls. dried)
- 2-3 medium beets, peeled, grated (about 2 cups)
- 473.18-709.77 ml greens, finely chopped (beet, chard, kale or spinach-stems removed)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Bring stock to simmer on stove. Heat the butter in a wide pot, add onion, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice, stir to coat it well, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until it's absorbed, then stir in half the parsley, the basil, grated beets, and the chard(or other greens).
- Add 2 cups stock, cover, and cook at a fast simmer until stock is absorbed.
- Begin adding the remaining stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. When you have 1 cup left, add the beet greens or spinach.
- Taste for salt, season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest and juice to taste.
- Serve dusted with the Parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley.