This risotto has not only an incredible jewel like color, but also a delicious deep taste, tempered by the greens, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter (or a mixture of butter and olive oil)
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbls. dried)
- 2 -3 medium beets, peeled, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 -3 cups greens, finely chopped (beet, chard, kale or spinach-stems removed)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring stock to simmer on stove. Heat the butter in a wide pot, add onion, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2Add the rice, stir to coat it well, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until it's absorbed, then stir in half the parsley, the basil, grated beets, and the chard(or other greens).
- 3Add 2 cups stock, cover, and cook at a fast simmer until stock is absorbed.
- 4Begin adding the remaining stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. When you have 1 cup left, add the beet greens or spinach.
- 5Taste for salt, season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest and juice to taste.
- 6Serve dusted with the Parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Risotto With Greens
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.9
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 33.9 mg
- Sodium 276.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: