Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love beets and am always looking for other ways to cook them - this is from Rachel Ray - she suggests garnishing this with crumbled ricotta-salata cheese (or feta)and roasted asparagus. I am a purist and served it plain to enjoy the beet flavor. I also used 5 small beets instead of the large. (this might be nice garnished with a few toasted walnuts & a bit of crumbled blue cheese if you want to add some other flavors)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2 large red beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium pot, warm the broth over medium heat.
- In a large skillet or medium dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Stir in the rice to coat with the oil, toast for 2 minutes.
- Add the beets, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook until absorbed into the rice, then begin adding broth a couple of ladles at a time, stirring with each addition, until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the risotto is cooking, you can roast 1 pound trimmed asparagus (cut on diagonal into 1 inch pieces) with tossed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve shallow bowls of beet risotto - garnish with feta & asparagus if desired.
So bright red and has lovely subtle beet flavour. A treat topped with blue cheese or feta and walnuts. Maybe a drizzle of honey, too?
I had this in my cookbooks for a while now and I finally had the chance to make it. I think I found a keeper, I topped it with a wonderful young goat Gouda I found at the market. I can't wait for dinner tomorrow. Thanks so Much for posting Ma!
This was very good, I did not have red wine, so I used lime juice instead, which may have been the reason it was a tiny bit bland for me. Easy to make and a beautiful color. Thank you!