1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This jam doesn't use any pectins or gelatins, just rhubarb, sugar, beets, and plain old water. It comes out a deep red with an earthy quality from the beets and a hint of tartness from the rhubarb. Pair it with goat cheese and walnuts.
My Private Note
8 oz jars
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb with 1 cup of sugar.
- 2Mix well and let sit for about 30 minutes until some juice forms in the bottom of the bowl.
- 3In the meantime, cook the beets with the remaining sugar and water in a medium pot over medium high until tender, about 45 minutes; stir occasionally.
- 4Add rhubarb mixture including juices and stir.
- 5Cook, while stirring, 18 to 20 minutes until rhubarb are very soft.
- 6Process the beets through a potato ricer or large strainer and return to the pot.
- 7Taste for sweetness and add sugar, if needed; cook a few minutes to dissolve any added sugar (the jam's flavor will mellow as it cools).
- 8While jam is still hot, ladle into hot sterilzed canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space at the top; remove air pockets by running a long, non-metallic utensil or skewer between the jar and the jam.
- 9Top with new, clean lids, close tightly and let cool to room temperature.
- 10Once cooled, test the seal; if the lid springs up when you press your finger into the center - it is not sealed.
- 11Process any that have not sealed for 15 minutes in a hot water bath, then test the seal again.
- 12NOTE: To sterilize jars, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat until barely bubbling. Immerse three 8 ounce jars and leave there while you are cooking the jam. Place lids and rings in a small saucepan covered with hot water.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Rhubarb Jam
Serving Size: 1 (3717 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1022.9
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 447.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 253.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 229.8 g
- Protein 12.5 g