Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another way to use up beets when "you just dont know what else you can make with them"
- 1 quart cooked chopped beet, around 12 medium to large beet (not to large though, they get woody)
- 1 quart chopped raw cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (not the creamed stuff)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- In a large non reactive saucepot combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer-stir well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack hot relish into hot sterile jars.
- Leave 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe rims and adjust two piece caps.
- Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- If your elevation is higher than 1000 feet consult the altitude chart posted in the Canning Forum.
This is the same recipe that my Mother used. She always added more horseradish, and it was nothing short of fantastic!! Makes a great side dish.