Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A good tasting jelly, that tastes nothing like beets. A good way to use up garden beets.
- 4 lbs large beets, peeled and cut up (about 6)
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups reserved beet juice (add water if needed)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 (2 ounce) package pectin, crystals
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- Cook beets in water until tender.
- Reserve juice.
- Combine reserved juice, lemon juice, and pectin crystals in large pot.
- Heat and stir on medium-high until it comes to a boil.
- Stir in sugar and gelatin.
- Boil 6 minutes stirring coccasionally.
- Skim off foam.
- Pour into hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/4 inch of top.
- Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.
- For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
My Great Aunt Augstine introduced our family to this jelly in the 1970's. Personally, I've been making this jelly for about two decades and have given it away in Christmas gift care packages. Every year I have the jars returned asking for refills. It is an amazing jelly and I must admit, my preferred spread for toast in the morning!
I have made this before and it is absolutely delicious!!!