People seem to either hate or love beets -- I would guess you like them because you have chosen this recipe to look at. (The first recipe calls for canned beets; sometimes I buy fresh beets and cook them -- this variation is after the canned beet recipe.) When using the fresh beet recipe, I make the beets ahead of time to allow for cooling in the fridge and then just cut them up when assembling the salad.
CANNED BEET RECIPE
- 6 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) canof cut beets (well drained)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, well drained (in light syrup)
- 1⁄4 cup bottled poppy seed dressing (if you don't like poppy seed dressing you can use a basic vinaigrette dressing)
FRESH BEET RECIPE
- 3 fresh beets (used in place of the canned beets)
- CANNED BEET RECIPE:.
- Place spinach in a salad bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
- 5 minutes prep time; no cooking time.
- FRESH BEET RECIPE:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Remove beet greens from 3 fresh beets; rinse beets and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Unwrap foil and remove skin by rubbing firmly with paper towels. Refrigerate beets until cool; cut into pieces and add to salad.
- 5 minutes prep time; 1 hour cooking time; 1 hour cooling time.
Thank you for posting this refreshingly unique salad! My best friend and I are beet fiends, and we really loved the way that the spinach and oranges complimented the earthy and sweet flavors of the beets. The colors were beautiful as well. I can't wait to make this again! I used Classic French Vinaigrette for the dressing. The poppy seed dressing might have been a little too sweet for our taste.