Recipe by Rita~
These Earthy Healthy Chips are crisp and will stay that way if keep in a tightly sealed jar. Serve as chip or top an arugula salad with feta cheese and pine nuts. Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and they have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.High in folate, manganese, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, tryptophan, magnesium, iron,, phosphorus, copper. One cup of raw beet greens may contain over 275 micrograms of lutein!Good for your eyes! ;)
- 2 cups cooked beets (Pick small or medium-sized beets whose roots are firm, smooth-skinned I used red yellow)
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast beets by enclosing in foil and roast till tender.
- Or Steam: Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to a rapid boil. Add beets, cover, and steam for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork or the tip or knife into the beet.
- Remove skin when cool to handle.
- Place beets into a blender.
- Spread thinly, about 4 inch thick. The outer edges will dry faster, so make the outside a little thicker, up to 3/8 inch. Use Excalibur Paraflexx sheets, parchment paper, or the fruit leather inserts that came with your dehydrator. Don't use waxed paper. Dehydrate for 8-10 hours. Peel away the paper store chips in airtight container.