Recipe by MapleLeafLili Hill
Beet Leaves never tasted soooooo goooood! My mom used to fix this recipe often, with the abundance of beet leaves she had on hand when she operated a market garden in Alberta Beach, Alberta, Canada. I find myself searching market gardens for beet-leaves now that I've left home... And once you try this recipe, you'll keep looking for beet leaves again too!
Top Review by Susan H.
Glad I found this recipe again. Sometimes the wrapping gets hard to do, so I started making them the lazy way. Chopped the leaves into big pieces, steamed them for a few minutes, then added them to the rice mixture. I placed whole beet leaves in top of the rice, pour chicken stock (the powder mixed with water) over (not quite covering rice) and bake until absorbed. 350°. Then I pour whipping cream mixed with dill over and bake again until absorbed. Rich, elegant and truly sinful. Looks a bit like a risotto mixture.
- young beet leaf, washed,patted dry
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄8 cup chopped dill (fresh is best, but dry dill-weed will work ok too, just use less as it's more potent)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place your clean beet leaves in a 200 degree oven or hot sun to wilt them.
- (if usiong the oven, don't forget them in there).
- Cook your rice in the 2 cups of water with the 1tsp salt.
- Fry the diced onion in the butter until soft, then add the dill.
- Add the onion/butter/dill mixture to the cooked rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the filling onto a beet leaf, and roll up.
- Making sure your filling won't fall out.
- Place in layers into a casserole dish.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients until well blended.
- And pour over the beet leaf roll-ups.
- Bake at 300 for 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
- until the sauce is just bubbling at the edges.