Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These edible leaves provide protein, calcium, fiber, beta carotene, vitamins A and C, and some B vitamins.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper, ground
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups beet leaves, washed well and chopped
- Heat the oil over medium high heat till it stops sizzling.
- Add onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper, and vinegar stir well to combine.
- Cook for 5-15 more minute.
- Add beet greens just to wilt.
I made this for dinner on Friday night. It was very tasty and I ate most of it myself. Will definitely make this again.
The taste of the vinegar was quite strong for me. I liked the combination of flavours but would have liked something a bit more subdued.
This was really good! The flavor of the beet greens combined with the caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar was superb, but I could barely taste the thyme and I couldn't taste the rosemary or the garlic at all, so next time I will probably double them. Overall, though, definitely a great greens recipe that I'll be making again and again.