Think you're family won't eat their greens? Think again! With all the yummy accompanying flavors in this side dish, you won't find the beet greens overpowering at all.
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Saute the garlic and onion until they are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the beet greens.
- Stir until all the greens are wilted and heated.
- Add the white wine and bacon.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Wow. I used real bacon, and the grease, and chicken stock instead of wine. Yummy greens.
So, I was a bit nervous about making this because I have never prepared greens of any type and had never eaten beet greens, but boy, am I glad I decided to make them using your recipe. I had bought beets to make another recipe tomorrow and as I was putting them away in my vegetable crisper I decided to cut off the greens in order to save room and when I saw how many greens there were I didn't want to waste them since they are edible. I had about 2 cups of greens. I had some bacon leftover from breakfast this morning so I chopped 4 pieces up and used them as the bacon bits and followed the recipe exactly the same way after that change. My whole family really enjoyed these and I will never throw of beet greens again. Thank you so much MadCatKim!
This is such a great recipe, perfect as is. Would just add that if you are out of white wine and/or stock a good sub is 2 tblspn balsamic vinegar. nummers!