Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Think you're family won't eat their greens? Think again! With all the yummy accompanying flavors in this side dish, you won't find the beet greens overpowering at all.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh beet leaves
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Saute the garlic and onion until they are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the beet greens.
- Stir until all the greens are wilted and heated.
- Add the white wine and bacon.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Wow. I used real bacon, and the grease, and chicken stock instead of wine. Yummy greens.
So, I was a bit nervous about making this because I have never prepared greens of any type and had never eaten beet greens, but boy, am I glad I decided to make them using your recipe. I had bought beets to make another recipe tomorrow and as I was putting them away in my vegetable crisper I decided to cut off the greens in order to save room and when I saw how many greens there were I didn't want to waste them since they are edible. I had about 2 cups of greens. I had some bacon leftover from breakfast this morning so I chopped 4 pieces up and used them as the bacon bits and followed the recipe exactly the same way after that change. My whole family really enjoyed these and I will never throw of beet greens again. Thank you so much MadCatKim!
This is such a great recipe, perfect as is. Would just add that if you are out of white wine and/or stock a good sub is 2 tblspn balsamic vinegar. nummers!