Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is in my hubby's top 5 favorite! He is notorious for picking out the beet bunches at the farmer's market by looking at the tops without even checking out the actual beets at the bottom. Easy to make and tasty with or without the added roasted beet roots. Time does not include the beet root roasting time.
- 1 bunch beet leaf, washed, drained and roughly chopped (about 3-4 beets worth)
- 3 -4 small beets, roasted, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook bacon in olive oil until starting to lightly brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and continue to cook until onion is translucent and starts to brown lightly, another 3- 4 minutes.
- Add beet greens and roasted beets (if using), water and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until greens start to wilt.
- Add balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until greens have wilted, about another 3-4 minutes and liquid has evaporated slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving bowl and offer additional balsamic at the table, if desired.
This recipe is delish! I usually make it without the roasted beets--I save those for a different use. This is a great way to utilize beet tops. There are never any leftovers! Thanks ChefBella for an easy recipe that turns out every time!