Recipe by Chickenzombies
This is a tasty vegetarian side dish (my roommate who normally won't touch vegetables chowed down on this) combining mushrooms and beet greens steamed in a garlic-mirin sauce. This is also delicious served over rice, or with a little wasabi paste added at the same time as the Mirin.
- 1 bunch beet leaf
- 10 white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and chop the beet greens, removing the stems.
- Halve the mushrooms, and wipe off any dirt.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat, and then add the beet greens and garlic. Saute for one minute.
- Chop and add the green onions and cilantro.
- Add the Soy Sauce (I usually use low sodium) and Mirin, and stir,.
- Add the mushrooms, saute for 2 minutes.
- Put a lid on the pot, and allow everything to steam for 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid and are tender & juicy.