1 hr 15 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is an excellent hearty vegetable soup. It is best when young beets are available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 19 fluid ounces canned tomatoes, including liquid (crush tomatoes)
- 16 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped small
- 1 medium red beet, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups chopped young beets, with tops
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups diagonally cut green beans (about 1 inch long)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped small
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill weed or 3 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1In a large frying pan, melt 1/4 cup of margarine or butter.
- 2Add chopped onions and saute' for 5 minutes but do not brown.
- 3Add mashed tomatoes including liquid and simmer until reduced to about half (about 20 minutes) then set aside.
- 4In a large cooking pot, add 16 cups of water and bring to boil.
- 5Add salt, potato quarters, chopped carrots and the beet and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 6When potatoes are tender, remove into a bowl and mash.
- 7Add the remainder 1/4 cup of margarine or butter, half and half cream to the mashed potatoes and mix well, then set aside.
- 8Trim tail ends of the young beets, and scrub only, then cut into small pieces and add to soup pot.
- 9Chop beet greens into medium size pieces and add to soup pot.
- 10Add cubed potatoes, spinach greens, green and red peppers, green beans, chopped celery, cauliflower florets and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- 11Add mashed potato mixture, tomato/onion mixture, green onions, fresh dill weed and bring to boil.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Add lemon juice and stir well.
- 14Adjust spices to taste.
- 15Cover and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- 16Refrigerate any unused portion of soup.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet Green Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 526.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 4.1 g