Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
This smoothie includes the earthy taste of roasted beets (so don't make it if you are a hater), but apples, grapes, and lemon juice sweeten the flavor just enough for a subtly sweet, surprisingly healthy snack that your kids might even appreciate. Beets are a great source of folate, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and potassium, as well as the antioxidant betanin. The yogurt provides acidophilus cultures (beneficial gut bacteria) and calcium, and the spinach gives this an iron boost.
- 3 beets (roast, peel and cool ahead of time)
- 2 cups white grape juice
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (fresh is best)
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon protein powder (I use hemp)
- 1 cup milk (OK to use Almond milk or Rice Dream)
- Roast, peel and cool beets ahead of time. Chop spinach and remove stems. Add to blender along with all other ingredients. You can vary the amount of grape juice and milk slightly depending on how thick you prefer your smoothies to be. Blend well, first on low, then high for 1-2 minutes and enjoy.