Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a beautiful and delicious salad. This is also very nice and a bit milder served with Golden Delicious Apples.
- 5 -6 medium beets, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1⁄2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Wash the beets, but do not peel.
- Place in a very deep pot and cover with cold water until floating. Bring to a boil, cut back to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Note - Beets can be a bit messy and stain terribly. By using a very deep pot you won’t have as much splattering.
- While the beets are cooking, make the salad dressing by combining the ingredients above starting with the shallot and ending with the freshly ground pepper. Shake well.
- Chop the red onion, slice the green apple, place them in a large bowl and toss with the salad dressing and the feta cheese.
- When beets are done, cool, peel, cut in half and then slice thinly.
- Toss with the apples, onion and cheese mixture.
- Garnish with the scallions and dill.
I had a can of beets I wanted to use up, so I tried this for a BBQ. I think it turn out ok, but I'm not sure I was crazy about the horseradish and dressing. I left out the celery seed and used Durkee's instead of the mustard, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. A few of my guests said said they liked it, but it didn't get gobbled up like the other side dishes. Not sure I would make this one again.
Very good salad! Wasn't too sure about the combination, but it does have everything we like! I'm sorry I didn't have a red onion to use (was sure I had one in the onion basket!) so had to use a brown one. Tasted much better today, after everything had a chance to mellow! Also used canned sliced beets, well drained! Also, couldn't find the fresh dill to garnish (comes back to my inability to find fresh herbs in my area!). I guess I really need to grow my own! Everything else was used per your directions. Will make this again, as we love beets, and this time I'll be sure I have the red onion. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Karen. Made for PAC Fall 2009.