Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a spin off of a few recipes on here, made healthier and more beety. I use my yogurt frosting to frost, but cream cheese would be great too. Make an all beet cake by leaving out the carrot and adding 1 more cup beets.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sucanat (or organic sugar or brown sugar)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple (in juice, don't drain)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups beets, shredded (you could do all beet!)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 cup walnuts, chopped
- preheat the oven to 350.
- beat oil, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and sugar. stir in pineapple.
- sift dry ingredients and stir into wet until combined.
- fold in beets, carrots and nuts.
- pour into a greased 9x13 and bake 35-40 minutes.
- cool and frost.