Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A comforting winter soup
- 4 small beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb lean stewing beef, cubed
- 6 cups homemade beef stock
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium cabbage, grated
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- salt and pepper
- Brown beef in oil in a large pot.
- Add beets, onions.
- Add beef stock.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, celery and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until just tender.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and heat through.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- The soup is perfect when the sweet taste of the beets is slightly altered by the sour taste of the lemon juice.
- Garnish with sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh dill.