1 hr 30 mins
A comforting winter soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 small beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb lean stewing beef, cubed
- 6 cups homemade beef stock
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 medium cabbage, grated
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1Brown beef in oil in a large pot.
- 2Add beets, onions.
- 3Add beef stock.
- 4Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer about 30 minutes.
- 5Add the carrots, potatoes, celery and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- 6Add cabbage and cook until just tender.
- 7Add tomatoes and garlic and heat through.
- 8Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 9The soup is perfect when the sweet taste of the beets is slightly altered by the sour taste of the lemon juice.
- 10Garnish with sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh dill.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet & Cabbage Borsch
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.8
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 860.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 13.7 g