Recipe by Impera_Magna
Found online in response to a forum request for breads and muffins that have veggies included. I haven't made this recipe yet... so serving sizes and prep times are estimates.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned beets, drained (reserve liquid)
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, not concentrated
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat sugar, eggs and oil until light and fluffy. Puree beets in blender until smooth. Beat into egg mixture.
- Blend flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and salt. Fold flour mixture and orange rind into batter, mixing well.
- Turn batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, and reserved beet juice in saucepan; simmer over low heat until thickened. Pour over while bread is warm. Serve with cream cheese.