Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found online in response to a forum request for breads and muffins that have veggies included. I haven't made this recipe yet... so serving sizes and prep times are estimates.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned beets, drained (reserve liquid)
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, not concentrated
- Beat sugar, eggs and oil until light and fluffy. Puree beets in blender until smooth. Beat into egg mixture.
- Blend flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and salt. Fold flour mixture and orange rind into batter, mixing well.
- Turn batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, and reserved beet juice in saucepan; simmer over low heat until thickened. Pour over while bread is warm. Serve with cream cheese.
My 3 y/o really enjoyed this. Followed recipe to a "T" and it worked out great. Thanks for a new way to get veggies into my son!
Disappointed by this recipe. First, 3 cups is way too much flour for a quick bread. I ended up only using about 1 1/2 cups. It could also use a little more spice. I added an additional 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg and allspice. I used a full tbsp of orange zest and it balances the spice nicely.
Oh. My. WORD :) What a wonderful treat! My bread, however, turned out a beautiful violet all the way through. The only changes I made was using nutmeg and cinnamon instead of the allspice, as well as adding left over orange zest to the glaze as well. The cream cheese is the PERFECT compliment to this awesome bread! Wonderful, thanks so much Impera!