Recipe by hollyfrolly
My new favorite salad. For those of you who are afraid of beets (like I was until just recently!) this is the salad for you to experiment with.... The earthiness of the beets is balanced soooo nicely by the goat cheese, balsamic and honey. Throw in the avocado and dried fruit and what you have is ridiculous deliciousness!!!! So, so, so darn good. *Original recipe adapted from a recipe found on recipegirl. AND....**Cooking time includes time to roast and cool beets.
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 44.37 ml shallots, minced
- 14.79 ml honey
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 medium beets, roasted and quartered
- 1419.54 ml arugula (baby spinach or salad greens work well too)
- 118.29 ml walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml dried cranberries or 59.14 ml dried cherries or 59.14 ml dried blueberries
- 1 avocado, large, peeled, pitted and sliced thinly
- 85.04 g goat cheese, fresh, soft, and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub beets to remove all excess dirt and dry with clean cloth. Moderately coat the beets in extra virgin olive oil and wrap individually in foil.
- Roast beets in 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- While beets are roasting, prepare dressing by combining all ingredients, whisking and setting aside for flavors to meld.
- Toast walnuts in a small pan over medium heat. Remove from heat once toasted (approx. 5 minutes) and set aside to cool.
- Remove beets from oven, remove foil and place in bowl to cool~ approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Rub olive oil into hands and with a pairing knife, peel beets. The juice will stain your hands if you do not continue to rub hands down with oil, or wear gloves.
- Quarter the beets- or if they are large, slice into 1 inch chunks and reserve.
- Prepare salad by combining salad greens of choice, beets and avocado with a small amount of dressing. Continue to add dressing to your liking.
- Plate salads and top with dried fruit (cranberries, cherries or blueberries) and crumble goat cheese on top.
- Savor every single bit of this heavenly bit of delicious-ness. Mmmm-mmm-mmmm!