Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a different take on the beet apple walnut salad. I know that when I was little this was something we looked forward to in the Amish restaurant we would visit for special occasions. This would be beautiful for a nice dinner. There are significant changes but the "bones" of the recipe are still there!
- 1 lb beet, trimmed (2 large)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, Finely-chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 cups mixed baby greens (about 4 Oz)
- 2 medium apples, cored
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, Crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup caramelized walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, Chopped
- Cook the beets in boiling water until tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Place in a bowl of ice water. Slip off the skins.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly drizzle in the oil, continuing to whisk.
- Toss the greens in dressing (reserving some dressing for the beets) and divide the greens among 4 serving plates.
- Cut the beets and apples into large (half-inch) dice. In a bowl, combine the beet and apple cubes with the cheese, walnuts, parsley and desired amount of dressing (saving the remaining dressing for another use). Spoon the mixture over the dressed lettuce and serve.