1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This soup is a beautiful first course for a dinner party or special family meal. While the presentation gives the impression of a complicated recipe, it's extremely simple and easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For roasted squash
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (2 lb without greens)
- 1 red apple, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (such as Gala or Braeburn)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 -5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Roast squash: Preheat oven to 375F.
- 2Cut off"tops" of squash (about 1 inch from stem end) and reserve.
- 3Scoop out seeds and discard.
- 4Cut a very thin slice off bottoms of squash to create a stable base.
- 5Brush"bowls" and tops all over with oil and sprinkle salt inside.
- 6Arrange squash bowls, with tops alongside, stem ends up, in large shallow baking pan.
- 7Roast squash until flesh of squash is just tender, about 1 1/4 hours total.
- 8(Do not get them overly soft or floppy. they need to hold their shape to hold the soup.) If a small hole forms, serve soup in squash but set in a soup bowl.
- 9Make soup while squash roast: Cook onion in oil in a 5-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- 10Add beets and apple and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- 11Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- 12Add broth and 4 cups water, then simmer, uncovered, until beets are tender, about 40 minutes.
- 13Stir in vinegar and brown sugar.
- 14Puree soup until very smooth, at least 1 minute per batch Please use caution when blending hot liquids.
- 15Return soup to pan, then season with salt and pepper and reheat.
- 16If soup is too thick, add enough water to thin to desired consistency.
- 17Serve soup in squash bowls.
- 18Soup can be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet-Apple Soup in Acorn Squash Bowls
Serving Size: 1 (1014 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.7
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1726.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 8.8 g