Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love roasted beets and goat cheese in salads and this one is a wonderful blend of flavors that complement each other nicely. From "At Home Entertaining" by Jorj Morgan, my favorite new cookbook!
- 2 lbs red beets
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 lb granny smith apple
- 12 cups boston lettuce, washed, dried & torn into 1-inch pieces (6 heads)
- 4 shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (juice of 1 medium orange)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roast the beets by placing them on a sheet of aluminum foil. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the foil around the beets and place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes or until the beets are tender. Cool.
- Peel the beets and slice into thin strips.
- Cut the apples into thin slices.
- Place the lettuce into a large salad bowl. Toss in the beets and apples.
- Whisk together the shallots, orange juice, red wine vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad and toss until the leaves are just moistened. Top with crumbled goat cheese and serve.