Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Prepared as written except I didn't add the shallots to the dressing. Instead, the shallots were thinly sliced into crescents and garnished on top of the salad for additional color. Delicious! I also added baby spinach and arugula. I should probably confess right here that due to time constraints I used vacuum-packed pre-cooked beets I found at Trader Joe's the other day. I hold my head low in shame...again. Reviewed for Veg Tag October.
- 4 -6 beets, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1 head bibb lettuce, torn into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Prepare 2 parchment - lined pieces of foil - divide beets between the two pieces of parchment. Fold in half, crimping edges to seal. Place packets on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour 20 minutes - 1 hour, 30 minutes or until beets are tender. Cool and then peel beets. Cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges or rounds.
- In a jar or bowl whisk together dressing ingredients (vinegar - sugar). Whisk in oil.
- Arrange greens and beets on a platter or in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing and season with pepper. Toss.