Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
The night before your picnic, you can bake the beets, toss them with the vinegar and marinate them in the refrigerator. Then add the remaining ingredients the next day. On another occasion, serve this salad with poached salmon, or saut the beet greens and pair them with the beets. Williams Sonoma.
- Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Remove the beet greens, if attached, leaving about 1 inch of stem attached to the beets; reserve greens for another use.
- Place the beets in a baking dish and cover with water by about 1/4 inch.
- Cover tightly and bake until they can be easily pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the beets.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into thin slices.
- (A mandoline helps make neat, even slices.) Place the beets in a bowl, add the vinegar and toss together gently.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, dill, garlic and salt, stirring gently so the slices don't break.
- Taste and add more vinegar, if needed.
- Stir in the walnuts and serve.