1 hr 25 mins
Chef #570804 Halifax Liz's Note:
This recipe appeared in a local newspaper insert. It is very healthy and suitable for vegetarians. Certainly warms you up on a cold evening. I have made some adjustments to suit our tastes. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 small beets, peeled and diced
- 4 peeled and diced carrots
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 peeled and cut celery root
- 1/4 cup chopped dill (or substitute coriander)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, finely grated
- salt & pepper
- yoghurt, for the top if desired
- 1Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft but not brown , over low heat.
- 2Increase heat to medium high and add beets, carrots, celery, celery root and half the dill.
- 3Saute until vegetables have released their liquid, dried and start to turn golden.
- 4This takes about 20 minutes.
- 5Add stock and tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are soft, which takes about 30 minutes.
- 7Add orange zest and juice and remaining dill.
- 8Season to taste.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beet and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.4
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 211.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: