Recipe by waynejohn1234
This recipe appeared in a local newspaper insert. It is very healthy and suitable for vegetarians. Certainly warms you up on a cold evening. I have made some adjustments to suit our tastes. Enjoy.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 small beets, peeled and diced
- 4 peeled and diced carrots
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 peeled and cut celery root
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dill (or substitute coriander)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, finely grated
- salt & pepper
- yoghurt, for the top if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft but not brown , over low heat.
- Increase heat to medium high and add beets, carrots, celery, celery root and half the dill.
- Saute until vegetables have released their liquid, dried and start to turn golden.
- This takes about 20 minutes.
- Add stock and tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are soft, which takes about 30 minutes.
- Add orange zest and juice and remaining dill.
- Season to taste.