Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I bought a huge bag of baby Spinach at the store and have been looking for ways to use it up. Found something similar to this in my "Weight Watchers Miracle Foods: More Fruits, More Veggies" cookbook. This has been tweaked to my own tastes. The original calls for more beets and less orange. As the original was written it would be 1 point for 1 cup. This might be just a tad more and would be a CORE recipe for WW. Even if you're not on WW though, it is a healthy tasty recipe!
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3 oranges
- 1 beet
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1.5 limes)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Chop the spinach coarsely and put it in a bowl.
- Peel the orange and separate into sections.
- Cut each section in half and add it to the spinach.
- Peel and dice the beet and add it to the spinach.
- (This will dye your hands red. You can do it with gloves or attempt to do it under water, but I have never had much success. I just don't care about red hands I guess!).
- Mix the lime juice, the splenda or sugar, the ginger, the red pepper flakes, and the salt.
- Stir it together well.
- Pour over the salad and let it sit for a few minutes so the flavors blend.
- Cook time is stand time.
Loved this salad! Thank you so much for posting it. I also roasted the beet -- just till tender. I used two oranges instead of three. Followed the recipe exactly elsewise. Loved the zippy heat of the dressing. Elmotoo was right; it WAS quite PERKY! Yum!
This is awesome! Were the beets supposed to be raw?? I roasted them - 3 small beets & 3 oranges. The dressing was quite PERKY. I was told I should have doubled the recipe. Finicky family. ;) Thanks!!