Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty and beautiful main dish salad. Contributed by Malin Elmlid to "Food and Wine" magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup green lentils or 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- kosher salt
- 4 ounces bacon, thick sliced and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beets, cooked and cut into wedges (or half moon slices)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lb red cabbage, sliced 1/2-inch thick and 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb green leaf lettuce, torn into large pieces
- 1⁄4 lb blue cheese (1 cup)
- Place lentils in a small pot and cover with 2 inches of water; season with about 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook, over medium heat, until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain lentils, run under cold water, and drain again; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet, over medium heat, until crispy; drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss together beets, parsley, lentils and 1/3 of the dressing; add cabbage, lettuce, and the remaining dressing.
- Toss, season with salt and pepper, and top with bacon and bleu cheese.