Recipe by Lori Mama
I learned how to prepare this soup during a vegetarian cooking class. I'm not very fond of beets, but this was rather tasty. Recipe courtesy Rob McLean, instructor.
Top Review by TasteTester
This recipe was included in Book#228608. November 4, 2008 -- This soup is great! I love potatoes and beets, so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. It turned out wonderful! The soup was creamy from the potatoes and had a subtle taste of beets. (For anyone unsure about trying a beet soup, the taste of the beets is mild in this soup (although, being a beet lover, when I make it again I'll double the beets). For me, it didn't need the half & half, but I used some as the recipe directed. It made the soup a little creamier but again, I felt the soup was perfect without it. This is a recipe I'll make over & over. I prepare a lot of soups, and this is one of the best. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 medium sized beets, cooked and cubed
- 4 medium sized potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions with dill in butter until softened.
- Add cubed potatoes and saute for a few minutes.
- Add stock and beets.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 30 minute.
- Blend with a hand blender until desired texture.
- Finish with cream or half/half, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
- Note: prep. time includes cooking of the beets.