Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is really delish! I have never seen cranberry vinegar but I used raspberry vinegar and it worked just fine. It's a very good holiday side dish that you may blend to a smooth puree or leave a bit on the chunky side as you prefer.
- 8 medium beets
- 10 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced vidalia onions
- 4 bosc pears, peeled, cored and minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (or Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry vinegar or 1⁄2 cup cranberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Wash beets, and place in a roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, pears, sugar, and vinegar; cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and coursely chop.
- Puree onion mixture in a food processor with metal blade. Add salt and 1/2 of the beets; pulse 4 to 5 times. Add remaining beets, and pulse 2 to 3 times.
This is like beet's answer to cranberry sauce. I have seen cranberry vinegar at farmer's markets but that has been ages ago. The recipe was reduced considerably and we found that we were putting a spoonful of the puree on everything-toast, roasted veggies, fresh halibut, even an omelet. Used pears from Hood River, Oregon, locally grown organic beets, local honey. I have a big bag of pears on hand and hope to make another larger batch as soon as the pears are soft enough. Thanks! Reviewed for Veg Tag January.
WOW!!! This is so very, very yummy! What a differently delish side dish! Mmm, I really cant stop raving about this. :) I made it for my sis and me for dinner tonight quartering the recipe using two beets and one pear, which worked out beautifully. I reduced the butter to 1ts and that was enough for my taste. But Im sure if youre in the mood for indulging, the full amount would be great, too. I luv the flavour of this puree: It is sweet, yet tart and tangy. The perfect accompaniement to grilled cheese, I think. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Annacia! Ill definitely make it again! Made and reviewed for Photo Swap #8 January 2010.
Even better then anticipated. When it comes to beets DH tends to turn into the little boy who sneaks them to the family dog. Tonight he said with surprise the beets taste like pear (he quickly finished them off). Cut the recipe down to four servings. Also cut the butter down to about a tablespoon. Thanks for the yummy post.