Recipe by Queen of Everything
I'm very picky when it comes to beets, but this is pretty yummy. Be careful when playing with beets...they stain everything!
- 10 small beets
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 red onion
- 5 oranges
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub beets and boil until tender-crisp (about 10 minutes).
- Take out of water and slip skins off.
- Mix juices, vinegar, water, sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a large pot and bring to simmer.
- Slice beets in egg slicer and drop into simmering liquid.
- Simmer until beets are very tender (about 5 minutes).
- Drop sliced red onion into liquid for last 2 minutes.
- Drain beets and onions and reserve 1//2 cup of liquid.
- Section oranges and place in bowl along with beets and onion.
- Combine reserved liquid with salt& fresh ground pepper.
- Drizzle oil in slowly while whisking.
- Toss dressing with beets onions and oranges.
- Serve over a bed of butter or baby lettuces.