Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe from Darryl Estrine and Kelly Kochendorfer's Harvest to Heat. Good cookbook!
- 2 lbs assorted small beets, such as dark reds, Chioggia, white and golden (try to keep them a uniformed size so as to cook evenly)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh small mint leaves, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Put the beets in an ovenproof pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and sprigs of thyme; toss to coat. Cover with aluminum foil and roast for 25 minutes, or until a knife slides through the beets with ease.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and cut into medium-size wedges. Set aside in a medium serving bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix the honey, vinegar, the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper; pour over the beets and toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with the mint.