Recipe by KelBel
From Giada De Laurentis, Every Day Italian.
Top Review by PioneerValleyGirl
Tasty salad with an interesting mix of flavors. I substituted a spring-mix for arugula, since it's what I had on hand, and skipped the avocado. Otherwise I followed the recipe to good results. The vinaigrette had a nice tang that set off the earthy beets and creamy cheese.
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium beets, cooked and quartered
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk the vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Toss the beets in a small bowl with enough dressing to coat. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the beets are slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Mound the salad atop 4 plates. Arrange the beets around the salad. Sprinkle with the avocado and goat cheese, and serve.