Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This came from Cooking Light, November 2005. Very healthy, beautiful presentation.
Make and share this Beet and Fennel Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium beets (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large onion (left whole for first step)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped fennel bulbs (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped peeled granny smith apple
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional) or 8 teaspoons plain yogurt (optional)
- chopped fennel leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a large sheet of aluminum foil; sprinkle beets with water. Wrap beets in foil; arrange packet of beets and the WHOLE onion on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool.
- Combine broth, chopped fennel, and apple in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until fennel is tender. Cool.
- Trim off beet roots; rub off skins, and coarsely chop. Peel and quarter onion. Add beets and onion to broth mixture in pan, stirring to combine. Place half of beet mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed beet mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining beet mixture. Stir in vinegar, juice, salt, and pepper. Return pureed beet mixture to pan.
- Place the pureed beet mixture over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with sour cream. Sprinkle evenly with chopped fennel fronds.