Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In this recipe you can use golden beets or red ones or a combination. The salad can be made a day ahead if refrigerated.
- Prepare an ice water bath.
- Trim beet stems to 2 inches, but leave roots intact; wash beets well.
- In a large saute pan, cover beets with salted water and cook, over medium high heat, until they can easily be pierced with a fork, or about 30 minutes.
- Drain and submerge in ice cold water bath.
- The skins and root ends should be easily removed; discard the beet tops with the stems.
- Cut peeled beets in half and then in 1/2 inch half moon slices.
- Combine beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, vinegar, and cilantro in a large bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.