Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light. To save time use 3 cups canned black eyed peas and canned beets.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups coarsely chopped peeled beets (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sort and wash black-eyed peas; place in a small saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above peas; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain peas, and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above peas. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine vinegar and next 5 ingredients (vinegar through salt) in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Steam the beets, covered, for 25 minutes or until done. Arrange the beets on a platter, and top with peas. Sprinkle with cheese, pecans, and parsley. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.