Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Sweet and creamy cooked dressing on a beautiful old fashioned salad. From a 1960 cookbook "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking". I usually peel the apples and omit the nuts.
- For dressing, combine egg with sugar and beat well.
- Stir in flour and mustard.
- Add mixture to heated water and vinegar in a small heavy saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 4 salad ingredients.
- Pour the cooled dressing over and mix well.
- Garnish with parsley and chopped nuts, as desired.
- Serve chilled.
I used some granny smith apples and my homemade blackberry vinegar instead of plain white vinegar. Delicious and refreshing taste!
I loved this, too. I used fresh, roasted beets, unpeeled apples and walnuts. Pink and delicious.
Ooh, I'm 1st! I liked this a lot! The kids weren't too keen but it will grow on them, lol. I used canned beets but I'm sure fresh & roasted beets would be far superior. The dressing is so delicious!! Thank you, Kaarin!