Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
We adapt, adjust and something that tastes great happens.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, white part only, reserve the green for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup your favourite cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 hardboiled egg, sliced into rounds
- 3 -5 sliced black olives, for flower centre
- reserved green onion top, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, reserving several stems for garnish
- In a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions through celery about 5 minutes Remove from pan and set aside vegetable mixture.
- Saute mushrooms, adding extra butter if needed-set aside in small bowl to add later.
- Add vegetables back to original pan.
- Add boilng water, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- In a small, dry fry skillet over low heat, toast the flour, stirring constantly for 3- 5 minutes, until it smells toasty, not to change colour.
- Add some of the vegetable water to the flour skillet, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add the flour/ water mixture back to the vegetable pan, add the milk and cheese, stirring well.
- Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is creamy 10- 15 minutes.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms to the pan, stir to coat.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta.
- Onto a large platter pour the pasta with sauce.
- Arrange the egg slices to look like flowers, add a slice of olive to the centre, sprinkle with paprika.
- add the parsley stems to look like flower stems Sprinkle the reserved tops of the green onions and chopped parsley over the pasta Serve.