This is so easy you wouldn't believe, and soooo GOOD!!!
Make and share this Bee's French Apple Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb cooking apples or 1 lb tart dessert apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated or 1 teaspoon nutmeg, in the can
- wax paper
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- confectioners' sugar, sifted, to dust over cake
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Grease and line the base of deep 9" round cake pan with waxed paper.
- Put the chopped apples into the base of the cake pan.
- Put all the remaining cake ingredients, EXCEPT 1 EGG, into a bowl or food processor. Beat to a smooth batter.
- Pour batter over apples in pan. Level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins., until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, cream topping ingredients together with remaining egg.
- Remove cake from oven and spoon the topping over cake.
- Return cake to oven for 20-25 mins., until golden brown.
- Cool cake in pan.
- Turn cake out, take off waxed paper and finish with a dusting of confectionary sugar.
- Try adding finely chopped pears, pineapples or raspberries instead of apples.
- Be creative. Add your favorite fruit. Make sure they are well drained.
- Serve with whipped cream or French Vanilla ice cream.
Nice and moist cake and so different with the nutmeg. I cut down the sugar. For me it was a little too buttery(the topping), but DDs loved it. There wasn't a lot of chewing involved for them. The topping was the most interesting part with the egg as a part of it. I just saw I was supposed to add some icing sugar.Oops. Thanks for sharing.
The best apple cake !!! I did reduce the sugar quantity . It is a keeper