Recipe by nvermd
This hearty "cake" is served with beer although there is no beer in it. Since it is dense, serve in thin slices. From "The Pantry Gourmet"
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs italian sweet sausage
- 1 cup minced green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion, white parts only
- 1⁄2 cup minced pimiento
- 2 cups shredded muenster cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the sausages in oil until partially cooked.
- Cool and discard casings, crumbling sausage.
- In the same pan, sauté the green peppers, scallions and pimentos for 5 minutes.
- Don't brown.
- Add mixture to sausage and cool slightly.
- Toss with cheeses.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add flour and mustard.
- Add the sausage mixture coating all of the pieces with the batter.
- Add the basil.
- Spoon into a greased tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours until a knife comes out clean.
- Take out of oven and blot surface fat to remove it.
- Cool in the plan before unmolding.